[pology] posieve error: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2

Jorge Barreiro yortx.barry at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 09:31:41 PDT 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to use posieve to validate my translations, but in some entries I
get the following warning:

[warning] /home/yortx/proxectos/traducións/debconf/gl/sane-
backends_1.0.22-4_gl.po:110(#8): Sieving failed: 'ascii' codec can't decode
byte 0xc2 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

I'm using the lastest svn version and the command line:
./posieve check_rules sane-backends_1.0.22-4_gl.po

My whole system is in utf8, so is the po file. The only characters in the file
which contain the 0xc2 byte are the quotes: « ». There are other utf8
characters in the file, and they produce no warning.

I'll attach you the po file so you can test it, but I get the same warning in
any other po file which contains « or ».

Regards,
J. Barreiro