[pology] Pology posummit not propagating header changes to branch PO files

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Wed Jul 19 03:03:29 PDT 2023

Chusslove Illich skreiv 18.07.2023 15:50:
> Exactly the behavior you described is in fact not a bug, not even an
> unexpected consequence, but explicitly programmed-in 😄 I.e. by just
> removing a few lines in code the behaviour would revert to how you
> expected it to be.
>
> The idea was as follows. If there was a branch PO with proper
> PO-Revision-Date and and Last-Translator headers, the values of those
> fields would hold true for the content of all messages; so if none of
> the messages change on scatter, neither should the two particular
> headers.

I think I now understand why. If, for example, new or modified strings
are introduced in a ’trunk’ branch, but not in a ’stable’ branch, and
these strings are translated in ‘summit’, no changes have been done for
the ‘stable’ branch, so the PO-Revision-Date of ‘stable’ shouldn’t be
updated. And I guess the same is true for Last-Translator (the person
translating the new ‘trunk’ strings can be different person than the one
who has previously translated the ‘stable’ ones).

But there are a couple of problems. We who use the summit workflow,
typically only edit the summit files and (perhaps falsely) expect the
content of the branch files to reflect the summit files. So if a
translator changes their email address for some reason, I would edit the
Last-Translator header in the summit PO file to use the new (working)
email address. But the branch files unfortunately continues to use the
old (perhaps non-working) address forever (if no other strings are changed).

Suggestion: If the Last-Translator *name* in the branch matches the
summit name, always update the email address in the branch to reflect
the email address in summit. And for the case where a person changes
their name (e.g., adding or removing a middle name, or adding
diacritical marks to some letters): If the email addresses match, always
update the name in the branch to reflect the name in summit.

Also, for the Falkon files in my example, the PO-Revision-Date and
Last-Translator was *missing* in the branch. This caused lots of

header field 'Last-Translator' missing in header
header field 'PO-Revision-Date' missing in header

warnings in the Script logs. Suggestion: If such a header is missing
from a branch, always copy the value from the summit.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer