[pology] Support for SPDX-FileCopyrightText in Pology

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Sun Jul 7 06:52:49 PDT 2024

Here’s the TLDR version:
Pology doesn’t support ‘SPDX-FileCopyrightText’ headers, which Lokalize
uses. It would be nice if it did.

Long version:

For some time, Lokalize has been writing author contribution information
using ‘SPDX-FileCopyrightText’ comments in the PO header, e.g.

     # SPDX-FileCopyrightText: 2023, 2024 Nomen Nescio <nomen at example.com>

instead of the old-style

     # Nomen Nescio <nomen at example.com>, 2023, 2024.

However, Pology currently doesn’t support this. That is, it treats the
‘SPDX-FileCopyrightText’ line as a normal ‘comment’ field instead of
as an ‘author’ field.

One result is that the ‘normalize-header’ sieve doesn’t normalize the
author information, i.e., it completeley ignores the
‘SPDX-FileCopyrightText’ lines.

I discovered the problem by noticing that posummit had for some time
automatically been *removing* my author information (but not that of
others, using the old-style format) from files I have been updating. I
was really to blame, because I had set up to my posummit scripts to
automatically clear any ‘comment’ fields (but not ‘title’ or ‘author’
fields), as they generally don’t contain any useful information for
*our* translations, only ‘noise’. This was working well before, but not
after Lokalize started writing ‘SPDX-FileCopyrightText’ headers and
converting old-style author information to the new format. (Note that it
only does this for the *current* translator, not for the others.)

So this is a request for supporting the new ‘SPDX-FileCopyrightText’
format. This is what I think should happen:

 1. ‘SPDX-FileCopyrightText’ lines should be treated as ‘author’ fields
    instead of ‘comment’ fields.
 2. The ‘normalize-header’ sieve should (by default or as an option)
    output the author list using the new format.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer