[pology] check-spell

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Apr 26 03:08:58 PDT 2012

> [: mvillarino :]
> A mate that translates gnome noted that specialized dictionaries for
> check-spell-ec happen to be case sensitive, so gtk != GTK. Is this right?
> Is there any way to make dictionaries case insensitive?

I use Aspell as underlying spell check engine, and it seems to use this
heuristic: allow word with upcased letters (compared to dictionary word),
but do not allow downcased. For example, if dictionary contains 'foo', then
'Foo' and 'FOO' will be allowed; if dictionary contains 'Foo', then 'FOO'
will be allowed, but 'foo' will be reported as misspelled.

This heuristic makes sense to me, and works for me in practice. The
rationale is that lower case is always more general, so if it is in the
dictionary, upper case variants may appear at start of sentence or all-caps
writing. However, if upper case variant is in the dictionary, the word is
e.g. proper noun or acronym, and should never be in lower case.

Applied to your example, how comes 'gtk' is found in the text? If it is used
as normal part of text, then the original is misspelling it by using lower
case, and the translation can be correct and use upper case version. If
instead 'gtk' is part of some symbolic identifier, well then, identifiers
will generally trip spell checking and there has to be some other mechanism
to avoid that. (For this purpose Pology takes into account translator
comments of the form # well-spelled: word1, word2, ....)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)